Sunday 10 May 2009

The Cobb, Lyme Regis









It's a wonky pier!

The Cobb in Lyme Regis has 13th century origins, although it was rebuilt in the 19th century. This is Daphne Du Maurier country and it features in the French Lieutenant's Woman (movie). I loved walking along the Cobb. It also in one of Jane Austen's novels, where one of her characters has an accident by falling off. It must have been built shortly before she was writing so would have been very popular in her day. Walking along it makes you feel like Jane Austen. You can imagine lots of elegant Georgian ladies taking the sea air and trying not to get their dresses splashed by the waves, which constantly come over the top, as is inevitable on such a curious piece of architecture. Lyme Regis itself is peaceful and exceptionally beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Ooo what a fab place - still on my list of places to visit - yes I remember it from 'Persuasion' where Louisa jumps but Captain Wentworth fails to catch her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is the first time I've come across this blog. It's always good to see what people like about the town I live in. I actually run literary tours in Lyme Regis, so this is an interesting blog for me!

    ReplyDelete